Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

June 16, 2015

Salzburg 50k

Mist on the Salzach river
My last big workout before the Red Bull X-Alps starts on July 5.   A 50k with my pack seemed appropriate, plus an early morning start to keep ahead of the hot weather.   Since I had already flown this section of the race, walking it was the next challenge.   I decided that walking up and over the hills wouldn't be the best line, so out to the valley and along a trail next to the river.  It was long and straight and I think I gained 8 meters of elevation in about 10 miles to start the walk.




I did find a really cool place to soak my feet in the first half of the walk, a tiny little slot canyon with crystal clear water.  A few brave souls were canonballing themselves into a rather deep section of the narrows, but with the frigid water I limited my immersion to just my feet.

I contemplated flying off a nearby peak but couldn't reach it before the weather turned windy and rainy.  Same thing for the Via Ferrata near the Vorderer Gosausee behind the Dachstein.  Jim picked me up halfway through my walk and we aimed for a fun section of climbing in the middle of the day....but it started to rain just as my hand touched the first cable.  So I did the second half of the walk in some heavy rain showers.

10 hours and 52k later I reached the campground for the night.   By then it was almost hot again and windy.

I think we are in for a few days of rainy weather now but I'm feeling confident about the route.  I'm ready for the race to start!



A Common European Adder in the rocks near the via ferrata!
Many man-made waterfalls near Gosau
3 burros watch me pass by
A cold water soak near the end of the day
View in front of me...
....view behind me

No comments:

Post a Comment